Tuesday, March 30, 2010

12th FEBRUARY 2010

ever stopped to wonder what it would be like if things were not what they were? as i walked into the graduation grounds flanked by my parents on either side i wondered what life would have been like if for example i had gone to the urban Kampala parents school and not the rural Namilyango Juniors boys school. i would probably be more comfortable around girls, know most of them more personally and appear to be more confident about things but less prayerful and lacking in survival skills which are a requirement in this country we call pearl of africa.

anyway as i joined my coursements catching up on the past days and life out of campus , i wondered what life would have been like for me if i had gone to St. Mary's College Kisubi or Kings College Buddo and not the great Namilyango College the fear that came over me alone at that thought reminded me that we were supposed to be taking our seats. but then again if things had been different i would probably be an Engineer and not an accountant but sadly not as hard and good a rugby player and if one probably playing for the national team not because am good but because i would be plying my trade with G4S pirates a club i hate for influencing and meddlig in rugby affairs in the country mostly denying chance to those that deserve. despite me being off rugby at the moment, the fear of not knowing my peers because of having gone on the other end of the lake for High school is heightened as the chancellors entourage enters the graduation grounds and speeches, anthems and endless remarks take center stage of grad.

as the deans award various degrees which are met with screams , ululations and joyous celebrations from the graduands and parents a like, i ask my self the same question what life would have been like if i had insisted on going to MUK or UCU mukono for that
Law degree. its then that i start to remniscence the good old days in the guild cabinet my short stint as a member of the democratic party's UYD. the allowances that came with being the Guild finance minister, the politicking the never successful censures and the government allowances for non resident government aided students and the priviledges of not queing up during registration time and attending all university functions courtesy of knowing the guild president and most of all being among the few stars that shone in the rather not so bright Kyambogo's skies, reader i hope u get wat i mean.

as the dean faculty of Arts and social sciences read out my name for the award of Bachelor of Arts in Economics, i wondered if life would be the same if i had different parents and i was not Muguluma, thinking of all the good things they have done for me; it was than i said glory to God and was so grateful for his kindness and giving me thae most loving and giving parents, i even feared to dare think of another father what if he was a drunkard abusive father who cared less for our welfare, what if i had the kind of mother who couldnt even tell the father of her children. as i thought about what my parents had gne through to get me this far, the sacrifices they had made a great feeling of debt and love was too much to bear and as i left the tents to go i realised how good life has been for me thus far and like my old man said on the 20th of Feb exactly a year after that fatal accident that almost took my life i pledged to my self to work so hard and give back to my parents cause without them i would have turned out as a boda boda rider, taxi conductor , or even as a porter at some construction site looking forward to go drink waragi which would probably have killed me or i would have gotten involved in some kind of trouble and would be serving some sentence just nearby in Luzira prison.

I LOVE YOU MUMMY AND DADDY

No comments:

Post a Comment